Friday, April 3, 2009

Avec les Bons Voeux de la Brasserie Dupont

Welcome to another edition of my Friday Tasting Notes, which are being reposted from my main blog at www.samuelrutledge.com. I may decide to stick to posting them just there at some point, but for now I'm doing double duty.

This week, I tasted (read: guzzled with relish) a beer by the Dupont brewing house in Belgium. The beer is the "Avec les Bons Voeux de la Brasserie Dupont", which means "With the Best Wishes of the Dupont Brewery". The Dupont website explains that beginning in the 1970s, this beer was produced in small batches annually for a select group of the brewing house's best clients. Today, it is distributed more widely (although it is still somewhat hard to find).

When this beer was magically transformed into a human, the first thing I noticed about it was it's jacket. It was wearing a very stylish gray jacket from the 1980s, part suede and part acrylic knit. Kind of like this;
A picture of a gray jacket with the front placket made of suede and the arms of acrylic knit.

Next, I noticed the shoes. They were very nice boat shoes, leather also. They were certainly casual, but suggested a little bit of a cosmopolitan attitude. Here's a picture;
A picture of brown leather boat shoes.

These things combined really started to give me an idea of the beer's personality. As a beer, it was inviting but not overbearing. It is a Belgian Farmhouse ale in style, which suggests a rural and not at all pretentious drink. But it's also clearly a craft beer, and it is conscious that it's quality is appreciated far afield of it's rural roots in the cities and the upper classes. Many things about this beer are suggestive of that same set of contradictions. The aroma, for example, is complex but not overwhelming. It carries suggestions of yeast, citrus, flowers, hops, and even some malt. But each of the scents is balanced against the others and the no part of the smell is in any way overpowering. Or the alcohol content. This is, by any account, a big beer at 9.5% ABV - but it is crisp, refreshing, and the sort of thing I could drink all day.

Let's talk more about the Beer as a person. He drives a very sensible, very European car. Therefore, I picked a Peugeot. Also, the model year is sometime in the late 70s, early 80s. I'm not sure why it is that so many of the characteristics of this beer person are from that era, but they are. The jacket, shoes, and car are all from the same time period. It may be because that was a time when industrialization was giving way to informationalization, and the rural was giving way to the urban even further than it already had. Or maybe I'm having an 80s kick. In any event, that's what came to me and it's what I've written. Here's the car;
A picture of a parked 1980s Peugeot station wagon.

As I'm thinking more about this guy, I'm realizing that he is pretty guarded. He's complicated. The flavor has some fruity characteristics, maybe banana or even some peach, but very subtle. And combined with some sourness, some bitterness, and even a little sweetness. It's thick, and hard to understand. But it's still friendly. This guy doesn't want anyone to get too close to him. In that sense, he's not a dog person. The level of loyalty that a dog has makes him uncomfortable. He wouldn't have a pet at all, except that a cat showed up at his house one day and being soft hearted, he fed the poor creature. And, of course, it stayed around. But it's not a pet so much as a room mate;
A picture of a cat.

I had a hard time thinking of this beer's favorite album. It's an unfiltered beer, and there's a yeasty aroma and flavor to it. It's primal, and it takes it all in. It's not the sort of beer to have a clear favorite anything. I thought of Jazz albums, I thought of famous french singers like Jaqcues Brel, Edith Piaf, or Charles Trenet, I thought of albums that mix genre like The Art of Noise's "The Seduction of Claude Debussy". The truth is, this beer has a large record collection and all those things and more are in it. But the most valued record, I think, is something both classic and modern; Bob Dylan's "The Times They Are A Changin'"
A picture of the cover art of Bob Dylan's

The beer's ideal weather is a fairly simple thing to talk about. It's certainly a spring beer, and the weather in which it would be most comfortable is a wet but sunny, warm but cool, middling spring day;
A picture of a field, tree, and some flowers on a lovely spring day.

Overall, I'd call this a dangerously drinkable beer. I hope that you're able to find a bottle. The one I found was at the Willamette Street Market of Choice in Eugene. For a 750 ML Bottle, I paid $12 (steeeeep, but worth it!) It was a great beer, and it brightened an otherwise difficult evening.

Thanks for reading, and I'll see you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment